Frequently Asked Questions about Jaguar Eco Intelligent Start/Stop System:
Q: What parameters does Jaguar's Intelligent Stop/Start system use when deciding to perform an Eco Stop?
A: There are many parameters that the engine computer will consider before performing an Eco Stop. The engine computer bases these decisions on programming designed to maximize occupant safety, occupant comfort, and to maintain clean emissions.
Examples of when the car will perform an Eco Stop:
- The car comes to a complete stop
- The driver's foot is on the brake
- The engine is warmed up
- The driver's seat belt is buckled
- The transmission is in Drive
- The primary and secondary batteries are fully charged
- The temperature outside is between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius
- The vehicle must have been driven since start-up
Examples of factors which can prevent an Eco Stop:
- The car is on an angle over 15 degrees
- The A/C compressor is needed to cool the cabin or defog the windshield
- Heat is needed to warm the interior
- Power steering assist is needed (The vehicle will either restart or keep running)
- The hood is opened
- The system is manually turned off by pressing a button on the dashboard
Q: What hardware does the system use?
A: It features a Tandem Solenoid Starter (TSS). This is a powerful and durable electric motor which replaces a standard starter.
It features twin solenoids and uses a secondary battery. The tandem solenoid allows for starter gear engagement and motor application independent of each other. It can pre-engage the starter gear and then rapidly restart the engine when required. It is designed to re-start the engine in the time it takes to place your foot off the brake and move on to the accelerator.
Q: Can you turn off the system?
A: The system can be turned off with a single press of a button, which is located on the dashboard. However, to maximize the benefits, it will default to "ON" each time the car is fully shut down and parked.
Interested in learning more about your Jaguar Eco Intelligent Start/Stop System? Ask Nestor, Nestor Knows!